Pages

Jan 27, 2012

B4FIAR: The Carrot Seed

I've seen a lot of positive comments about the Five In a Row curriculum since I started doing lesson planning and researching learning activities for Liam. So at the beginning of the year I decided to purchase a copy of Before Five in a Row so I could use this book as a resource when doing our lesson planning this year.

I wasn't sure which book to do first and the one that it happened to be was chosen by happenstance. I had checked out the book The Carrot Seed from the library and was doing research on activities that might go along with it when I realized it was one of the B4FIAR books. so I decided to go ahead and plan our first B4FIAR lesson.


This book is quite short and extremely simple. Perhaps it is meant to be easy for a younger reader to read on their own. Liam loved it and asked me to read it numerous times. We probably read it about 8 times in all during the week. By the second day he was attempting to "read" it on his own and saying "It won't come up." in the appropriate spots. Cute!

Vocabulary:

After reading the book the first time through we added a new word to our vocabulary: persistence. I explained to Liam that being persistent means not giving up. I also explained that the little boy had been persistent by continuing to take care of his carrot plant, even after being told repeatedly that it wouldn't come up. I tried to go over this idea each day we read the book.

Printable Activities:

I downloaded the lapbook template here on the Homeschool Share website. I really liked the activities included in the lapbook. Here are some of the things we did.

Coloring our orange items. You'll have to see the book, but the illustrations in the book are quite dull (color-wise) and muted until you get to the end when the carrot has sprouted and there is a giant orange carrot.

Carrot sizing from smallest to largest.

I don't know why he has such a confused look on his face here. Perhaps he was still trying to absorb what I'd been telling him about what plants need to grow. I explained that plants need sunlight, air, water and soil to grow, then we colored them together.

Our letter C words that we colored together. Good review of our letter we learned last week.


There were also some ideas for doing carrot math in the lapbook, so we did some math activities with carrots, I just didn't snap any pictures during those activities. I was able to work in very simple addition activities by having him give himself, his daddy and me a (paper) carrot, then count how many there were altogether. We did a few things along those lines.

Video:

We watched a short time-lapsed video of a plant growing on the PBS Learning Media site. I wanted to leave Liam with the understanding that a plant was a living, growing thing, so we discussed this a little bit after we watched the video. I'm not really sure how much stuck though. It's ok, I think just being introduced to the concept is enough for now.

Miscellaneous Fun:

We made carrots out of playdough and Liam had a lot of fun chopping them up and pretending to eat them. Had to choose the week when I didn't have any actual carrots on hand to do a carrot theme, right?

We worked together on a carrot collage. I had seen the idea of painting with the green plant portion of the carrot, but again, didn't have any carrots on hand for us to do this. I don't think this turned out too badly though.

There were definitely some things I wanted to do that I didn't get to. One suggestion was cutting off the top of a carrot and placing it in water and watching the greenery grow back. Or planting a seed and watching it grow, something we'll definitely do in the spring.

I'm linking up with these great sites:

Shibley SmilesFor the Kids Friday







13 comments:

  1. We haven't "read" this book, but we listened to an audio version of it every day for weeks on our walks, because my older son loved it so much!

    I've heard good things about the FIAR programs too, but decided not to purchase it since our co-op uses them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brittney! I was surprised how much Liam liked it, because it is such a simple book, but I'm beginning to realize he really prefers that at this stage.

      Delete
  2. looks like a wonderful start to your B4FIAR! I have the manual also and planning to go through some of the books this year with my lil guy.
    Looking forward to seeing the other fun stuff you guys have coming up with the B4FIAR books.

    Stopping in from Read Explore Learn linky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Definitely looking forward to seeing the fun stuff you guys do as well. :)

      Delete
  3. Looks like fun! Such a cute puzzled face he has! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you did this week! We love carrots at our house.

    Thank your for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that book was one of our favorites! The little boy believed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it's a wonderful lesson in not giving up! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny! Great ideas! I love the carrot collage. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your carrot collage! And thanks for the video link - how cool to be able to see it acutally grow right away!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a GREAT weekend,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...