Pages

Jun 22, 2012

BFIAR: Blueberries for Sal

It's been a little while since we visited one of the BFIAR books, so I was excited to prepare some activities to go along with the book, Blueberries for Sal, by Robert McCloskey.

Both Liam and I thoroughly enjoyed this story about how little Sal and little bear end up getting mixed up while out picking blueberries with their mothers.


Printable activities we used for this came from Homeschool Share and Homeschool Creations.

I'm starting to understand why printer ink is such a large expense for homeschool families. Color ink especially is quite costly. I don't even want to imagine how much we'll have spent on ink over the years by the time we finish our homeschool journey.

That said, I am so grateful to all the ladies who share their hard work with us and help facilitate our learning process!

This activity was from homeschool share. You put a number in the square, then the child counts out that many blueberries to put in the pail. We practiced this a couple of times over the course of the week.

This puzzle came from the Homeschool Creations Blueberries for Sal pack. I followed the directions Jolanthe suggested in her blog post and made an easy version of the puzzle for the beginning of the week, then cut those pieces in half and made it a bit harder later in the week. This worked out great!

Here Liam is working on the more difficult version. He didn't quite have it figured out yet.

Really loved this activity included in the Homeschool Creations pack. It's an object position activity and it helped me to be able to recognize Liam's level of understanding of these words. I can see now that it's an area that needs some work. Of course, I should have gotten a clue when he said, "There's a trash truck behind ahead of us, Mom." while we were driving in the car recently.

We also used some numbered blueberries from the Homeschool Creations pack to work on number recognition and number order. We only used numbers 1-5.

We did some crafty types of activities. This is our rendition of a blueberry bush that Liam created. I cut a small circle from a sponge and let him use it to paint a bush shape. Once that had dried, I gave him some blue paint and showed him how to make blueberries on the bush with his finger. Liam loves anything to do with paint, so this was a fun activity for him.

These next two pictures were my attempt at letting Liam paint with blueberry juice. You can see from these pictures that my attempt didn't work out too well. I think I watered the juice down too much. I wasn't even going to post these pictures, but I decided to go ahead in case someone else wanted to give this a try.


We also worked on this bucket full of blueberries collage together. Liam painted the bucket, I cut out all the itty  bitty blueberries, then he helped me glue them on top of our bucket. I'm starting to have quite a nice collection of summer art on display!

I had every good intention of taking a little trip up the road to a u-pick farm for some blueberry picking, but when the forecast predicted temperatures to be at 105 degrees on the day I had planned for our trip, I called it off. Perhaps we can do that next year.

Many blueberries were consumed this week. Plain blueberries for snacks, homemade blueberry muffins and  blueberries with our french toast. So many wonderful ways to have blueberries, so little time!

Linking up with:

Classified: MomFor the Kids Friday

2 comments:

  1. Blueberries for Sal is one of our favorite books! Looks like a lot of great activities to go with it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...