Pages

Oct 23, 2012

Three Billy Goats Gruff with Free Printables


We're on the letter G this week. In preparation for this week I made sure to reserve several books from the library, and one of the first books that came to mind was The Three Billy Goats Gruff. This version is by Paul Galdone and I liked it because it followed the traditional telling of the story. The illustrations in the book were well done and quite humorous! Liam laughed out loud at some of them, which is rare for him.

This weekend I started looking for some activities that we could do after we had read it and I couldn't find anything that suited me, so I asked my husband to make some story retelling props that I would be able to use with Liam, because I knew he was going to love this book.

Here he is in action with the story retelling props we used. We pulled out our felt board (which is homemade) and set up our bridge. Liam played the troll (of course!) and I played the three goats. We retold the story a number of times, then Liam wanted to pull out some of his other toys (spiderman) as well!

I think these story retelling props are a great intro to narration for children. It definitely seems more fun and enjoyable for Liam than when I just try to ask him questions about a story.

We also checked out this book by Australian author, Mem Fox. Mem Fox is a new discovery for me in the world of children's books, but I'm glad I discovered her!

This book was a fun counting book. It doesn't have numbers in it, so it's not for a beginner, but it is a fun way to get your child counting! Liam started counting the goats without any prompting from me at all. Then we did another activity that my husband had prepared for me.

 You can use this printable however you please. What we did is pull out our dice with dots on it. Liam would roll the dice and would then cover up the same number of goats on his paper as the number he had rolled on the dice.

I'm sharing the two printables my husband made for me with you for free. Sorry, but these are individual downloads. Please click on the image below to get a copy of your own. Remember if you wish to share these with others, please link  to this post on my blog, and not directly to the files. I hope you and your children have as much fun with them as Liam and I did!


Sharing this with:
Shibley Smiles

6 comments:

  1. I love how you're introducing narration in an informal and fun way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brittney! It definitely goes over much better than when I try asking questions.

      Delete
  2. Great ideas! Thanks for sharing the printables!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son loves this story! Cute printables.
    I'm a new follower.
    Jen :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...