Pages

Jan 14, 2013

Reading Through the ABCs: Letter K


I'm still trying to get caught up on these reading through the ABCs posts. Today I'm posting the letter K and I hope to get the post for the letter L up later this week. Once I get that done I'll be caught up and moving along with the Learning with Liam blog posts again.

Before I started writing these posts I did an internet search for something similar. When I couldn't find anything, I decided to share the books I came up with for each letter here on the blog because I figured others might be looking for something like this as well. Thus, Reading through the ABCs was born. Sometimes I've found it challenging to find books for a particular letter (like this week and last week), so I've decided to try to update these posts with new books as I find them by either leaving my two cents as a review or by adding them to an Amazon widget.

I am an Amazon affiliate, but like I say in almost every Reading through the ABCs post, I check out most of these books through our local library. I simply could not afford to purchase every book we read. Also, since my only real capacity is a homeschooling mother, not a children's book expert, it's a great way for me to screen the books before deciding whether I want to purchase them or not. It's worked out great for me.

Alright, on to books for the letter K.

We read the Three Little Kittens by Paul Galdone. It's a retelling of the classic story. I like Galdone's versions of these stories because I like the illustrations and he sticks pretty closely to the original tale as I remember it. I liked this one too, however, both my husband and I felt it ended on a somewhat odd note. It's been long enough ago that I can't remember exactly what happened at the end, but I do remember that it struck both of us as somewhat odd and we looked at each other as if to say, "What the heck?" right as he read the last page in the book.


This was our alphabet book for the week. A creative alphabet book that shares something about a little girl and her new kitten with each letter that is shown.


I have a soft spot for the Berenstain Bears. I didn't read them as a child, but I'm glad I can share them with Liam because I think these are great books for children. I think the storyline is pretty much a giveaway here.


You can tell I had something of a kitten theme going with the books I chose. To be honest it was about the only thing that started with a K that I could find books for. I didn't particularly like this choice because I was afraid it would be confusing to Liam after going through C is for cat, but he made the distinction himself at some point and said, "C is for cat and K is for kitten." during the week. It took me by surprise when he said it is why I remember.

I've written about Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes before. This book is so much fun! The illustrations are all in black and white, and the expressions on the kitten's face are captured so well. It was also the winner of the 2005 Caldecott Medal. It's about a kitten who mistakes the moon for a big bowl of milk.


Plant a Kiss by Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a story about a little girl who plants a kiss, waters it, tends it and watches as it grows. Then instead of keeping it to herself, she shares it with the world. This is a sweet story about sharing and generosity. Liam was rather intrigued by the idea of planting a kiss and questioned it just like the children in the book. Great book for children.


Sharing with:


Hare are some other suggestions:


4 comments:

  1. Oh, we love, love, love Kitten's First Full Moon. I have kind of a tender spot for it since it was one of the first "real" books my oldest son and I enjoyed together.

    And we love pretty much everything by Paul Galdone--such a master with fairy tales! If I'm wanting to share a particular fairy tale with my kids, I always turn to him first to see if he has done his own version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for your comment, Amy. I've found the same to be true with his renditions of the various fairy tales.

      Delete
  2. I'd add "A Kitten Tale to your list! Thank you for sharing at The Children's Bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this! I added it to the widget. :)

      Delete

I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...